Al Gore's legislative recommendations to the House (March, 2007)
1) An immediate "carbon freeze" that would cap U.S. CO2 emissions at current levels, followed by a 90% reductions by 2050.
2) Start a long-term tax shift to reduce payroll taxes and increase taxes on CO2 emissions.
3) Put aside a portion of carbon tax revenues to help low-income people make the transition
4) Create a strong international treaty by working toward "de facto compliance with Kyoto" and moving up the start date for Kyoto's successor from 2012 to 2010.
5) Implement a moratorium on construction of new coal-fired power plants that are not compatible with carbon capture and sequestration.
6) Create an "ELECTRANET" -- a smart electricity grid that allows individuals and businesses to feed power back in at prevailing market rates.
7) Raise automobile CAFE standards.
8) Set a date for a ban on incandescent light bulbs.
9) Create "Connie Mae," a carbon-neutral mortgage association, to help defray the upfront costs of energy-efficient building.
10) Have the SEC require disclosure of carbon emissions in corporate reporting, as a relevant "material risk."